A month from today Lost Providence goes on sale. That’s Monday, August 28. In fact, it already can be pre-ordered. And, to revise and extend my book’s remarks (as they say in Congress), my publisher, History Press, and I are working to set up a slate of events at which the author will be present to describe the book, ruminate upon its meaning, and answer questions about whatever remains to be said, if anything.
Here is the most recent list of confirmed events. Others are in the works, including, I hope, a joint event with the author of Transforming Providence, Gene Bunnell, at the WaterFire Arts Center, followed by an appearance at WaterFire itself. What that date will be is, as they say, TBA. Probably either Sunday, Sept. 3 or Saturday, Sept. 30.
- Aug. 28, Symposium Books, 240 Westminster St., Providence: book launch, Monday, 6 p.m.; free
- Aug. 31, Barrington Books at Garden City, Cranston, book reading, Q&A, and signing. Thursday at 6:30 p.m.; free
- Sept. 7, Books on the Square, 471 Angell St., Providence, book reading, Q&A, and signing; Thursday, 7 p.m.; free
- Sept. 20, jointly sponsored by the Providence Preservation Society and the Providence Public Library, 150 Empire St., Providence, slide lecture, Q&A, book signing, Wednesday, 6:30 p.m.; free
- Sept. 25, Rochambeau Community Library, 708 Hope St., Providence, slide lecture, Q&A, signing, Monday, 7 p.m.; free
- Sept. 28, Preservation Society of Newport County, Rosecliff, 548 Bellevue Ave., Newport, slide lecture, Q&A, Thursday, 6 p.m.; $10 members, $15 nonmembers
- Oct. 5, Rhode Island Historical Society, Netop Nights at John Brown House, 52 Power St., Providence, lecture, Q&A, book signing, Thursday, 6 p.m.; free
- Oct. 12, Preserve Rhode Island, Lippitt House Museum, 199 Hope St., Providence, reading/lecture, Q&A, book signing, Thursday, 6:30 p.m.
[Note: Some of the details of the scheduled events remain to be determined, or may be subject to change (say, from lecture to reading or vice versa). Some of the venue calendars do not yet mention the event.]